Sunday, October 12, 2008

Audio and Video Emerging Technologies (Week 6)

This week in class we where reading about audio (posdcasting) and video (screencasting). Richardson (2006, p. 112) defined podcasting as "the creation and distribution of amateur radio, plain and simple". He defines also screencasting as "capturing what you or your students do on the computer with an audio narration to go with it" (Richardson, 2006, p.122).

Personally, I prefer screencasting because I like to have a picture or idea of what I am hearing when dealing with an educational topic. The different educational scenarios’ where this technology can be used range from simply presenting a specific task in the computer to create laboratory procedures narrations. I am concern with the time consuming and effort it requires from the teachers to develop a project with screencasting. A possible solution to this was mention by professor Toledo in this week discussion. Lets use the student to help teachers in these tasks. I am sure that by preparing the video they will learn the procedures and at the same time for them it is a straightforwardly task.

References:

Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

2 comments:

Jody Ranous said...

I do not think we even have to limit it to students helping create these presentations. I think educators need to share what they create with each other. I recently had a Promethean Board installed in my room, they have a site that educators can post what they have created in there class for others to use. I think the more educators share what they have created then we will not have to reinvent the wheel.

Jody

Rose said...

Using emerging technology does take some time to learn, develop, employ, then refine. In the long run it saves time because you can create instructional tools that students can use when they are ready for the content. This is different than direct instruction where one size fits all. I also like screencasts and video chats more than podcasts. There is something to be said about seeing and 'reading' the speakers face.